Bangiya Sahitya Parishat Picture Gallery known as ‘Bangiya Sahitya Parisat Chitrasala’ was founded in 1908 (1315 B.S.). The establishment of this ‘Chitrasala’ was inspired by the exhibition of ancient objects held at the initiative of the Parishat in the ‘Industrial and Agricultural Fair’ organised on the occasion editing your paper of the Calcutta National Congress Session from Pous 4 to Phalgun 14 of 1313 B.S. (1906-07). Initially most of the objects of this gallery were collected at the endeavour of the then Assistant Secretary of the Parishat Rakhaldas Bandyopadhyay. It was also at his initiative that a list of illustrations entitled ‘Descriptive Catalogue of Sculptures and Coins in the Museum of the Bangiya Sahitya Parishat’ was prepared.
The picture gallery contains the following collections.
Deed relating to Bankim Chandra’s property, deed relating to sale of man and deeds on other subjects.Centenary Exhibition Hall : On the occasion of the 100 years of the Picture Gallery this exhibition hall was set up on the Second Floor of Ramesh Bhavan. This hall was inaugurated on January 24, 2009 by the online editor for essays then Hon’ble Chief Minister Sri Buddhadeb Bhattacharyya. Statues of Manjusree, Brahma, Uma-Maheswar, Bodhisattva, Kalyansundaram, Shantinath, Surya, Durga, Parvati, Chamunda etc. are on display in this hall. Other exhibits include scripts on the walls of the temples, objects made of burnt clay, saree, ‘Dasabatar Tas’, statues of wordly deities, dolls, playthings, elephants offered as sacrifice, ‘Tulsimancha’ made of burnt clay, ‘Chalchitra’, ‘Brishakastha’, etc. as well as articles of daily use like glass, bowl, plate, musical instruments, weighing instrument, etc. Coins, stone cannon ball of the time of Raja Pratapaditya, iron armour of Bishnupur, arms, copper deed, Tibetan flag, paintings from Jaipur relating to Krishnalila etc. have also been displayed here.